Saturday, August 11, 2007

Well, a lot has happened in the last 6/7 months. I am still in Korea and still at the same school. My plans have changed numerous times and they will still probably still change numerous times before I finally leave.

So what have I done, well I have only had my hair cut once since the last time making it twice in almost a year and I have to tell you my hair is longer than it has ever been. EO you would be proud.

January saw me getting together with my girlfriend Emma Doubble, we are still together. We travelled together on a ski trip and go to know each other quite well. Three new teachers came to my school. My friend Heidi, who is sisters with Brendan Sweeney's girlfriend Emily, Michael Slater a crazy South African and Jim Dykmen a fellow Canadian. These three and me got into quite a bit of drinking and good times out during out first couple months together.









February was Lunar New Years or Chinese New Year for westerners. I had almost a week off and again went snowboarding with some friends at YongPyong Ski resort in Korea. This place made it to the final two in competition for the 2014 winter Olympics, they lost to Russia. Either way it was a great time and had some good snow and a little too much soju. February is also Emma's birthday on the 11th. We had a quite day in after a big night of partying.
These are only a few of the people we were with. This photo was taken at the top of the black diamond slopes.

March. What can I say about March? It started getting warmer and I continued to drink more than I should have. I bought a scooter. A 100 cc silver Honda scooter. It is great. Having a scooter in this country is like having a VIP pass in traffic. You go to the front of the line every time and if you can't do it on the road then you go on the sidewalk. There are bikes and scooters everywhere in this country and people drive them like maniacs. High school kids ride them with no license of insurance and will put three or four people on the backs of their bikes.

Red lights are a mere suggestions to bikes/scooters and buses and lets be honest who would win in that contest. I haven't seen any bad accidents yet but I have heard horror stories. For all the parents who might be reading this I always wear a helmet and obey the traffic rules.

This scooter does afford me the ability to get to Emma's house very quickly and easily rather than taking buses. It also gets me around town much faster and I feel that I know the city better now that I have a scooter. I will be sad to part with it when I leave.

April. warmer still and Emma and I went on some very nice days in Seoul to different temples and sites. The secret garden was my favorite because we snuck away from the tour and made our own tour through the forest and I think got to see some and experience a much better time then with the tour.







Korea is an incredibly cramped place and it is very hard to find personal space here. Living in a city the size of Kingston with almost a million people makes it exceedingly difficult to get away from it all and when you have a chance to walk through a forest in the middle of the city and not hear cars you really Cherish those days.

May was a beautiful month. Everything came into bloom in Korea and there were some incredible cherry blossoms all over the island in the middle of Seoul. Rugby started up again and we played a couple good games against Shanghai and an islander team from Beijing. These were some big boys that came out strong but couldn't hold out for the whole game. Grant got some nice stitches in his chin and we all had a good time at the beer up.

The Sharks lost the super 14 to the Blues in a rather disappointing match in which I got really drunk and slept in for work the next day.

We began bbqing on the roof of my building and we went to the Seoul DJ festival. This was a free event and needless to say I had to poor Grant into a cab at midnight because he could no longer stand under his own power. Poor guy just can't handle his liquor sometimes.





This was also the point at which my facial hair was the most serious, see attached picture.























I am sure there was some more stuff that happened in May but I don't remember it right now.

June was nice. We went to a beach about an hour away on the coast for a weekend and had a great time swimming and playing in the sand. We all got a little too much sun but that's alright from time to time.

Michael and Grant both decided that they were leaving in a month to go traveling, which sucked for us staying but they had their reasons.

July Heide left my school to find other work and Michael left to travel and our new teacher Todd arrived from Florida. He is a good guy who seems to enjoying most of the same shit we do, i.e. drinking and having fun.

In July I also got to go to a Korean water park called Carri bean bay. This was a another strange experience in the land of the morning calm. It is 65.00 dollars to enter and you have to get there around 8 am or you won't get in. There are several thousand Koreans in speedo's and bathing caps, yes that is right you have to wear a bathing cap at all times in Korea pools/water slides etc... the exception is that you can wear a hat or visor as well meaning that as long as you have something on your head they don't care but you have to wear something on your head. Don't ask me why this makes sense to them.

In addition to the bathing cap you have to wear a life jacket at all times. Despite Korea essentially being an island no one knows how to swim and most people are afraid of the water. So when you arrive at Carri bean bay you have to rent a life jacket to wear in the water at all times.

It was also an enjoyable day because I was the only white person there and therefore the only one with hair on my chest. I am honest surprised they didn't try and make me wear a t-shirt. Needless to say I was something of an attraction and I was the only one there who knew how to dive so I was razel dazzling them with dives and cannon balls and getting standing ovations from crowds of Koreans who would gather to watch the foreigner.


Well that is all I feel like writing for now. I will post later about our trip to the mountains.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home